Interesting report looking at the cost of childcare and performance of nurseries throughout the UK in 2013. Key information, summarised below:
- Average hourly rate of childcare in the UK – 0-2 £4.26/ 3-5 £4.15
- Average hourly rate of childcare in Scotland – 0-2 £4.04,/3-5 £3.77
- Scottish Average for 25 hours of Childcare – 0-2 £101.19, 3-5 £94.35
- 67% of nurseries have witnessed parents using family and friends for childcare.
- 80% of nurseries have witnessed more part time children in their care
- Average occupancy 71%
- 39% of nurseries have witnessed an increase in parental debt
- 10% of nurseries have made redundancies in the last 12 months
- 43% of nurseries have reduced staff hours in the last 12 months
- 40% of nurseries are confident about their business.
- 13% of nurseries expect to make a loss.
- 44% of nurseries expect to make a profit.
- 33% of nurseries plan to expand.
- Average fee increase is 1.87%, current rate of inflation is 2.7%
Top 5 Business Challenges
- Increase in utilities costs.
- Increase in staff wages.
- Achieving a profit.
- Controlling costs.
- Delivering a sustainable educational offering.
943 settings contributed to the survey.
For more information: